How to make Philips DVP3880 zone free
February 28, 2012 6 Comments
Motion pictures publishers may have their reasons, but DVD region copy protection was always an annoying issue, of little value for users.
Interestingly enough, although DVD players manufacturer were somehow forced to lock their devices to a certain region, there still exist some manufacturer reasonable enough to circumvent this restriction.
One such manufacturer, that deserve all our consideration, is Philips. It is true that by default their DVD players are zone locked, but it is equally true that most of them have backdoors allowing to unlock them using a very easy to follow procedure.
For example, for the new DVP3880, you have to:
- power On the DVD player with no disc inside
- go to Setup
- go to Preferences
- with preferences highlighted, press the Next/Previous Chapter buttons (placed left and right the Play button, on the remote control) twice, in the following succession: >|, |<, >|, |< (next, previous, next, previous)
- the display will show the current Region Code (2 in my case)
- press the Navigation Up or Navigation Down buttons to select 0 (zero) for region free
- press Ok to confirm your region selection
That’s all, from this moment on, the player should accept any disk, regardless the region it is marked for.
Please note that the same procedure should apply to DVP3860, which is technical identical, but is sold without the analog cable.